Below are some commonly used terms which are often used in the context of paranormal or unexplained phenomena or events.
- Anomaly- An occurrence or condition removed from ordinarily understood experience.
- Apparition- A visual manifestation of a ghost.
- Cold Spot- A phenomenon where the temperature of a small localized area suddenly drops. This change can be felt and can be documented with thermometers.
Cold spots are believed to be caused by ghosts drawing the energy out of the surrounding environment.
- Debunk- To find a "normal" or alternative explanation to an event that, at first, appears to be paranormal in origin.
- DVR- Digital Video Recorder. A DVR is a system that records video digitally, from several cameras at the same time. It stores this video footage on a hard drive so it can be reviewed later.
DVR systems are comprised of multiple cameras, a digital recorder and a monitor.
- Entity- A term that is used to refer to all types of ghosts and spirits.
- EMF- Electro Magnetic Field. In it's natural form it is the natural electric field that is generated by all
living things and many inanimate objects such as metals and certain minerals. EMF is also generated by man-made electric sources such as lights,
radios and wires. In paranormal investigations the theory is that entities are largely composed of energy which may be electrically based.
By trying to detect EMF it may be possible to locate an otherwise unseen entity. The stronger the EMF detected the potential greater the paranormal phenomena.
- EVP-Electronic Voice Phenomenon. Voices that are recorded onto an electronic device such as a digital voice recorder or a video camera that has a microphone.
These phenomenon are not heard audibly at the time that the recording was made but only become evident after playback.
- Full Spectrum Camera- Full Spectrum Cameras photograph the entire light spectrum. This includes infra red light, ultra violet light and the visual light that we can see.
- Ghost- A generic term for the source of haunting phenomena. Commonly believed to be the spirit of a dead person, the origin or nature of ghosts has yet to be determined.
- Haunting- The repeated visitation or presence of a ghost to a specific location.
- Infrared (IR)- Infrared light is light from the lower end (long wave length/low frequency) of the electromagnetic spectrum.
IR light is not visible to the naked human eye without the use of special equipment. There is evidence that ghosts/spirits and other paranormal entities may be more susceptible to being viewed IR cameras,
which use the infrared light spectrum to allow images to be recorded in little or no light. IR sensors are often used for measuring temperature and detecting movement.
- Intelligent Haunting- A haunting where the ghost that is present has the ability to interact and respond to the living people that are around it.
- Manifestation- When an entity is trying to make itself appear or make it's presence known in our world it is said to be manifesting itself; trying to make itself into some form of physical state.
- Orb- A circular anomaly that appears in photographs and video. Some believe that orbs are balls of energy that are spirits trying to manifest themselves. However, almost all Orbs can be debunked as light reflecting
off of bugs or tiny particles of dust or moisture. We feel that Orbs are the poorest type of evidence that can be presented.
- Paranormal- Events above the normal or everyday experiences. Events that can not be readily
explained by known conventional reasons and/or commonly accepted science.
- Poltergeist- A German term meaning "noisy ghost". This type of apparition is a very specific type of haunting that includes
sometimes violent and noisy activity. In some instances a poltergeist can appear as the psychic extension of a person, usually most common in adolescent females.
Poltergeist activity is usually short in duration and can stop as suddenly as it starts. Because of its unpredictability, poltergeist activity is difficult to investigate and document.
- Residual Haunting- When a ghost is present but it does not interact with the living. This ghost goes about it's routine unaffected and unaware of those around it.
It is theorized that events and strong feelings/emotions can leave a copy or record of themselves on places and objects. Most notably this occurs when a sudden and violent death occurs such as a powerful accident,
a murder or other crime, a war or battle area etc. In this type of haunting, the same event repeats over and over again like a tape that is playing on a loop.
- Shadow Person- Dark apparitions of human form, sometimes opaque but often transparent, and quite often moving independently in the dark.
- Spirit- Although commonly interchanged with the word "ghost", spirit specifically relates to a dead person.
- Thermal Imaging- A thermal imaging camera, sometimes called a FLIR (Forward Looking InfraRed), is a type of thermo graphic camera used to render infrared radiation as visible light.
Such cameras allow the user to see areas of heat through smoke, darkness, or heat-permeable barriers.